1. Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
(Alternate text: my soul and set me free!)
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind but now I see.
2. ‘Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!
3. Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come;
‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.
4. The Lord has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.
5. When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we first begun.
Text: CM; verses 1–4, John Newton, 1725–1807; verse 5, anon., fr. A Collection